Making the Team

Seventh Grade Girls Try Out for Basketball

Catie Thompson

Catie Thompson

Payton Torbush and Abby Richardson

With the newly polished gym floors, the screeching of the shoes, and the pound of the ball, the pressure started settling in. The Little Mill 7th grade girls basketball team held tryouts on October 17, and only twelve players made the cut.

Emileigh Elwood

“I decided to join basketball intramurals last year, and that was the first basketball experience I have ever had,” said 7th grader Emma Eidson. “You do not have to have years of involvement in basketball to take a shot. Basketball intramurals are provided to students who want to be on the school basketball team, even for those with no experience. You have to keep your grades up, show leadership throughout the whole school, and not just on the basketball court,” Said Emma.

To be on the school team, the girls had to work really hard on how they presented themselves to their peers. “During practices the team encourages each other by cheering them on, clapping, or saying good job,” Said 7th grade team manager Megan Sing.This is one of the many ways that the players show leadership within the team that outsiders might not see.

Emileigh Elwood

“All positions are really important in every single sport because you can’t have one person not do their job, or else the job won’t work. In a school if the custodians don’t do their job, then of course the school will be a mess. If the teachers don’t do their jobs, then the students won’t be learning. They all have to work together to make a team,” said 7th grader Alexis Monroe. In a team all positions are needed to perform the task at hand.

Although being on a school basketball team sounds like a walk in the park, there are a lot of struggles that the girls go through to be on the team. “It is more difficult to be a player than a coach because they are the ones going on the court and doing what the coaches tell them to do,” said 7th grade team coach, Mrs. Kipreos. Being a player is a tough job, and your coach is relying on you to know what is right and what is wrong.

Emileigh Elwood

“Your players look up to you more as a coach, and you influence them in way more ways than you do as a teacher,” said Coach Kipreos. Being a coach is a big responsibility as well.

Emileigh Elwood

A school basketball team gives more opportunities like playing with your friends and participating in school fundraisers.There is also the opportunity to be playing for your school and its reputation. “Being on a school team is a good experience for me. You have better chances of going on and playing the sport if you play on a school team,” said Alexis Monroe.

The team is very passionate about the game, each other, and themselves. “They are all very athletic girls, and they are really eager to win this year,” said Coach Kipreos.

• Campus Life

Preparing for the A&I Fair

• Making the Team

Features

Making a Run for It

• Making the Team

Features

Swinging Into Action

• Making the Team

Features

The Little Mermaid is Coming Ashore

• Features

8th Grade Lady Mustangs Head to the Championship Game

• Making the Team

Campus Life

Edwina Spoonapple: At Your Service

• Making the Team

Features

Go Stangs!

• Making the Team

Campus Life

Halloween is a hit!

• Making the Team

Campus Life

All Fun and Games

• Making the Team

Campus Life

Wake Up Little Mill

Making the Team