Swinging Into Action

Gracie Runion

Coach Norsworthy and Coach Barlow recently held this year’s golf tryouts on February 21st and 26th at Country Land Golf Course.

Little Mill kicked off this golf season at tryouts. The team was created to give kids who don’t have access to golf courses at home an opportunity to play. Coaches with a common goal came together to create the team we have today. This team gives kids the chance to have fun and be a part of an after school activity. Little Mill doesn’t have a ton of kids who have played golf before, so they dealt with kids who have either never played and want to try, or kids who have played before at other courses. The people who participated on the team are people who really want to play. That was what made last year’s team so good.

Coach Barlow explains important information to all the
new players at this time. He told them all the information
they will need to know while entering the new season.

“The kids have fun and that’s the goal. It’s fun and it gives the kids exposure to places, people, and golf courses that they otherwise wouldn’t be aloud to,” said Coach Norsworthy. During tryouts, students were tested on their ability to perform in each aspect of golf. They all showed the coaches what they could do ,so that they could get better and better during practice. Despite the cold weather out on the course, they all had fun, and that was the goal.

Connor Maquire and Andrew Burruss pack up their
things and head over to the first course for practice. They both got their golf clubs ready for the long practice .

Practices are also meant to be fun. The players warm up by putting and hitting some balls around. They then make their way over to one of the courses and begin playing and working. Having learned the technique, they move on to actually playing well. Coach Barlow is the assistant coach now, but it wasn’t always like that. When asked  if he would like the position, he was very happy to join the team. Both Coach Norsworthy and Coach Barlow played golf when they were younger. They also encourage more kids to get into it.

Coach Barlow was ready to get all the players prepared for
their first game. He gave Andrew Burruss some pointers
as he practiced.

“Sixth or seventh grade would be a good age just because of how big some courses can be. Just having the size is important in golf,” said the coaches. They want more people to join and see how much fun it actually is.

Carter Brown, Parker Durkin, and Connor Maquire make
their way over to the first course at Country Land. Coach Barlow directed them over there to start working on their
drills.

For most after school sports, only 7th and 8th graders are allowed to participate on the team. Golf is a little different. 6th graders are allowed to be apart of the team, practice, learn, and come to games, but they are not allowed to actually compete. There was one 6th grader who came to tryouts, and he will be helping everyone out this season. This just shows that everyone has the opportunity to be a part of a team. Golf is different from football, basketball, and track in many different ways. That being said, they all require skill and dedication. This year’s brand new golf team showed the coaches just that at tryouts. Coach Norsworthy and Coach Barlow couldn’t be more excited to kick off yet another amazing season here at The Mill!

• Campus Life

Preparing for the A&I Fair

• Swinging Into Action

Features

Making a Run for It

• Swinging Into Action

Features

The Little Mermaid is Coming Ashore

• Features

8th Grade Lady Mustangs Head to the Championship Game

• Swinging Into Action

Campus Life

Edwina Spoonapple: At Your Service

• Swinging Into Action

Features

Making the Team

• Swinging Into Action

Features

Go Stangs!

• Swinging Into Action

Campus Life

Halloween is a hit!

• Swinging Into Action

Campus Life

All Fun and Games

• Swinging Into Action

Campus Life

Wake Up Little Mill

Swinging Into Action