Basketball: More Than Skill Alone

Will Neville prepares for a game by conversing with teammates. The love for sports comes from your teammates, the environment, and the game itself.

Reese Maddox

Reese Maddox

Natalie Hubbard and Reese Maddox

“I play basketball because I love it and I have a passion for it,” 7th grader Lucian Wilson explains his love for the game. Wilson has been playing for a couple of years but some boys on the team started about a year ago or even began playing this year. There are many things that go along with basketball that some people do not realize, and these boys are experiencing it for the first time this year.

As tip off begins, Nick Frank watches closely and prepares to get the ball. Tip off is at the beginning of a game to determine which team will get the ball first.

These boys are held to a higher standard with grades and behavior in class now that they play basketball. Coaches don’t like to hear when their players were disrespectful or have bad grades. “Balancing basketball and my grades isn’t too hard, especially when my grades are good before I joined the team,” 7th grader Andy Guzman said, “sometimes, nights after basketball are stressful because my teachers assign a lot of homework. I have been playing for a few years before 7th grade, so I have experience with dealing with a lot in one night.” School comes before basketball and sometimes it’s hard to get home early enough to do your homework and go to sleep at a reasonable time. These boys practice everyday except for game days and get home to study or write a paper. Guzman said, “On an average night, I have about one to two hours of homework.” They work very hard and no one realizes the responsibilities and standards the boys are held up to.

7th grader Bentley Wheeler practices his 3 pointers before the game starts. Wheeler is a wing, so these are the shots that he often has to make.

So next time you watch any basketball game, think about how hard these boys work to make good grades and practicing every night.

• Campus Life

Preparing for the A&I Fair

• Basketball: More Than Skill Alone

Features

Making a Run for It

• Basketball: More Than Skill Alone

Features

Swinging Into Action

• Basketball: More Than Skill Alone

Features

The Little Mermaid is Coming Ashore

• Features

8th Grade Lady Mustangs Head to the Championship Game

• Basketball: More Than Skill Alone

Campus Life

Edwina Spoonapple: At Your Service

• Basketball: More Than Skill Alone

Features

Making the Team

• Basketball: More Than Skill Alone

Features

Go Stangs!

• Basketball: More Than Skill Alone

Campus Life

Halloween is a hit!

• Basketball: More Than Skill Alone

Campus Life

All Fun and Games

Basketball: More Than Skill Alone