• Journalism is seeking artwork and writing from talented students to publish HERE! Please see Mrs. Bridges or your language arts teacher for more information.

Black History Month

Lucy Owusu, Staff Writer

Black History Month honors the contribution from African American to United States history. Black History Month began as “Negro History Week,” which was created in 1926 by Carter G. Woodson, a noted African American historian, scholar, educator, and publisher. It became a month-long celebration in 1976. The month of February was chosen to coincide with the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.

Rosa Parks, Alain LeRoy, and Martin Luther King Jr. were famous activists who sparked the rights for Blacks. By refusing to give up her seat to a white man on a Montgomery, Alabama, city bus in 1955, black seamstress Rosa Parks (1913—2005) helped initiate the civil rights movement in the United States.

The leaders of the local black community organized a bus boycott that began the day Parks was convicted of violating the segregation laws. Over the next half-century, Parks became a nationally recognized symbol of dignity and strength in the struggle to end entrenched racial segregation. Secondly is Alain LeRoy Locke who was an American philosopher, educator and writer. After obtaining an undergraduate degree from Harvard University, Locke became the first Black Rhodes Scholar. He later returned to the U.S. to complete his doctoral studies at Harvard.

Lastly, Martin Luther  King Jr. and his fellow civil rights fighters faced enormous and often brutal opposition from local officials and police forces in Southern cities, civil rights opponents, and white supremacist groups like the Ku Klux Klan. Society gave King and his followers some measure of freedom of association. King gave a speech and that eventually led to freedom for Blacks.
Civil rights protesters were frequently arrested and jailed; King was arrested 30 times for his civil rights activities.

The first African Americans to exercise the rights gained respect to the public transportation system in the South’s. Because King was a charismatic leader with an ability to mobilize African Americans, the FBI viewed King as a threat to the status quo and attempted to blackmail him by threatening to reveal his alleged extramarital affair. Ever since, every American president has designated February as Black History Month and has enforced the right that Blacks have civil rights.

http://www.history.com/topics/black-history/black-history-facts

http://www.history.com/topics/black-history

http://www.pbs.org/black-culture/explore/10-black-history-little-known-facts/#.WQOfNmfJDIV

• Black History Month

Campus Life

Taking Singing to Another Level

• Black History Month

Campus Life

Total Eclipse of the Mill

• Black History Month

Features

Invitation to Innovation: New Alliance Academy for Innovation

• Black History Month

Campus Life

Chorus Craze!

• Black History Month

Campus Life

Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle

• Black History Month

Features

Track: A Sport for Everyone

• Black History Month

Campus Life

Technology: The Good and the Bad

• Black History Month

Campus Life

6th Grade: A Whole New World

• Black History Month

Campus Life

Read Across America Day

• Black History Month

Campus Life

Staff Spotlight: Mrs. Sasser

Black History Month